Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Introduction

Since the dawn of people, they have been chronicling their lives in the sand, sides of caves, stone tablets, books and electronically. I've not been one of them...until now. I thought I would give it a try. I apologize up front if I inadvertently offend anyone. Feel free to drop me a line if I have my facts wrong or if you have a differing opinion.

I've always envied people that could spin a yarn. Telling humorous stories to the point the listener can't tell if the story is fact or fiction is truly a gift.

Over the years I listened to my dad tell countless narratives of his work, who he saw or ran into, or of a time from his youth. Just when he was nearing the end of the story (or punch line) he would throw in a "but you remember so-and-so" and the story took a different path. It was frustrating but it was part of the package.

For several years I worked for a great organization who was building itself up from the ground up. The VP of the department had a great gift of make analogies of a situation to make his point. He had great heart, compassion, a sharp mind but lacked a sense of time. As he would express himself, he would get a little crooked grin and start on a side story. The side story always had something to do with the end result but it generally took a long time getting there, a trait we coined "a rabbit trail".

I don't know about you, but in my collection of friends I can pick out the truly gifted story tellers. One such character only has one volume and its ON. He can take any situation and find humor. Gawd I love that! He draws an audience like moths to a flame. As the story builds and builds you are sucked in hooked line and sinker he drops his signature line, "long story, longer". You are putty in his hands.

So all this said, I trust my rantings will not bore you. I will try to stay on topic but sometimes you just have to tell a different story to tell THE story. Stay tuned for my version of life with my friends, family, trips and ....
...but I digress

No comments:

Post a Comment